GIRL ABOUT DERBYSHIRE
Hi there, I’m Molly!
I’m a busy working mum of a feisty toddler. I adore motherhood – it has been everything I hoped it would be and so much more. Inevitably though, parenting has somewhat cramped my style and social life in recent years! I have always loved discovering great places to eat, drink and stay. Now that I don’t get out quite so much, it’s even more important to me that when I do, it’s somewhere memorable. I love afternoon teas, cocktail bars, meals out and weekends away.
Having travelled the world I know Derbyshire is special. I lived in Belper for several years and now live with my husband and daughter in Chesterfield (on the edge of the stunning Peak District). Derbyshire folk are so down to earth and friendly. I can’t wait to share the best of Derbyshire with you.
10 Facts About Me:
1. After spending my twenties and most of my thirties single (or in some very dubious relationships) I finally met my now husband and am the most content I’ve ever been. He is without a doubt one of the most loyal, genuine and good-hearted people I know.
2. Motherhood is the single best thing that’s ever happened to me.
3. I work part-time, teaching sociology in a secondary school teacher. I have a genuine love for my subject, sociology (and the long holidays).
4. Prior to having a child, I travelled a lot, including backpacking in Thailand, a research fellowship in Japan and independent trips to Florence, Copenhagen and Munich.
5. I used to be REALLY ambitious and got promoted lots quickly when I was younger. One day realised there was more to life than meetings and other people’s deadlines. I took a massive pay cut but genuinely haven’t looked back since.
6. I once won a competition with Cosmopolitan magazine. My bestie and I won a weekend in Madrid, ‘living la Vida loca’ with a Ricky Martin lookalike.
7. I’ve finally realised diets don’t work (at least for me) and I’m enjoying learning about intuitive eating. I really hope I can I instill a better relationship with food in my daughter than I’ve had for much for of my life.
8. These days I MUCH prefer a bit of civilised daytime drinking (and then home to bed at a reasonable hour) to a wild night clubbing. (This is clearly my age showing but I’m embracing it!)
9. I love cosmetics and have spent many a happy hour perusing counters and spending far too much money. These days I rarely wear more than the tiniest bit of makeup (I blame motherhood) but it still brings me joy.
10. I turned 40 this year. Lots of people say I don’t look my age – but I think they’ve just not noticed my granny hands and wrinkly eyes!
Brands We Love
I’m a primary school teacher and I’m a mum to a beautiful, bright and bubbly six-year-old. I witness the ups and downs of wellbeing in children every day. Every parent faces the same dilemma – how to ensure the wellbeing of our children – particularly from a mental health perspective in a world that is more pressured than ever in more ways than one.
It was a great way to see parts of Leeds you might otherwise miss on your daily commute. We had some delicious and varied food choices accompanied by some nice drinks along the way. I’d genuinely be so happy to get this as a Christmas present. I always imagined food tours might be a bit pretentious and maybe not the kind of thing my other half would enjoy, but this wasn’t at all. The type of food offed, as well as the beers, sampled definitely kept him happy!
GREAT GIFT IDEAS FOR HIM | He’ll love this immersive Crime Scene Investigation Experience in Yorkshire
Anyone who fancies themselves a bit of a sleuth. If you’re an armchair detective and work out “whodunnit” before Poirot even twiddled his moustache or love watching real crime documentaries then this CSI Experience in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire is for you. Vouchers don’t have to be bought in pairs but I would say that to get the most out of the experience you’d be best off going with likeminded, crime-fighting friend.
If you love food and don’t know Sheffield very well then the Kelham Island Food Tour could be the one for you. It’s a great way to spend an afternoon, filled with many tasty delights whilst discovering new places around the much loved industrial part of town. The first time I ventured away from my city-centre haunts was shortly after finishing uni, when we discovered the Fat Cat pub and (more importantly) £2 pints of ale. It dumbfounded us that we’d never even heard of this part of town, so finding such an amazing place to drink after four years living in Sheffield was quite a late discovery!
I am a pub girl through and through and a glutton for a good, hearty menu. Forever hunting out new locations to catch up with my friends or to go for lunch with the family, so was super excited to discover this little gem situated in the beautiful Sutton.
I had already heard good things about Elements. Despite only just celebrating their first birthday, they’ve been nominated for two awards in Marketing Derby’s food and drink awards (Best Newcomer and Best Customer Service). Thanks to their beautifully curated Instagram feed they were firmly on my Girl About radar.
So when Elements got in touch to invite us to try their teddy bear’s picnic themed children’s menu I jumped at the opportunity. I can’t tell you the last time I enjoyed a delicious lunch out with my toddler. We have loads of fun but I’d pretty much resigned myself that civilised lunches at nice places were largely a thing of the past. I was intrigued to see whether this was the answer. In the week or so before, Lily was bubbling with excitement. I remained somewhat sceptical.
Thursday night a couple of weeks ago and my Dad was in town. My step-mum had gone to an ABBA event at the O2 and he didn’t really fancy getting all dressed up like a Super Trooper, so we decided to go out for a bite to eat. I’d been to The Stratford once before when it first opened in the summer and was impressed with their Stratford burger, so thought it was worth having another look.
Girls Afternoon Glamour is an experience unique to Charles Worthington, who is one of the most prestigious and renowned hairdressing names in the U.K.
Charles has won many of the industry’s most prestigious accolades, developed an award-winning portfolio of products sold worldwide, styled A-list celebrities, and collaborated with some of the best names in the fashion and beauty industry. All this whilst seamlessly remaining a family business.