RECIPE | Chicken, Chilli & Sweetcorn Soup
My mother gave me this soup recipe some years ago now. I have no idea where she got it from, I just know that it is a delicious, easy and healthy dinner that Hubby and I enjoy at least once a week.
Nutritious, as spicy as you want it to be, full of goodness (apart from one knob of butter) and really filling. It may only be a soup, but it packs a punch and is guaranteed to fill you up.
Hint: I make a double batch and it lasts us days! Not only does it taste better the second day, but it saves the pennies too!
(To feed 4)
- 2/3 chicken breasts cubed
- 1 large Sweet Potato, peeled and diced
- 250g sweetcorn (I use frozen, or you can used tinned)
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 red chillis, finely chopped (I use more as we LOVE chilli, so add as much or as little as suits your taste)
- 4 x rashers of smoked bacon, chopped.
- Handful of fresh thyme leaves
- 2 Pints of chicken stock
- Ground black pepper
- Knob of unsalted butter
- Put a knob of butter in a large pan and once melted, add your finely chopped onion, garlic, chilli and bacon. Cook for several minutes until the bacon is cooked and the onion is soft. If it starts to stick to the bottom, add a touch more butter or a touch of water.
- Next, add in your chicken stock and bring back to the boil.
- Add in your diced chicken, sweet potato and sweetcorn and bring back up to the boil.
- Add your fresh thyme leaves and some ground black pepper, cover and simmer for around 20 minutes.
- We serve up the soup with some warmed pitta bread, or if we’re being very good, just eat on its own. You can, it’s really that good.
Brands We Love
Thanks for reading this post, we hope that you enjoyed it. You can follow Girl About Blog Squad by clicking in the links below – keep up to date with Girl About news and Reviews.
Share this Article
Share it on your own social media channels or with friends
I’m a primary school teacher and I’m a mum to a beautiful, bright and bubbly six-year-old. I witness the ups and downs of wellbeing in children every day. Every parent faces the same dilemma – how to ensure the wellbeing of our children – particularly from a mental health perspective in a world that is more pressured than ever in more ways than one.
GREAT GIFT IDEAS FOR HIM | He’ll love this immersive Crime Scene Investigation Experience in Yorkshire
Anyone who fancies themselves a bit of a sleuth. If you’re an armchair detective and work out “whodunnit” before Poirot even twiddled his moustache or love watching real crime documentaries then this CSI Experience in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire is for you. Vouchers don’t have to be bought in pairs but I would say that to get the most out of the experience you’d be best off going with likeminded, crime-fighting friend.
If you love food and don’t know Sheffield very well then the Kelham Island Food Tour could be the one for you. It’s a great way to spend an afternoon, filled with many tasty delights whilst discovering new places around the much loved industrial part of town. The first time I ventured away from my city-centre haunts was shortly after finishing uni, when we discovered the Fat Cat pub and (more importantly) £2 pints of ale. It dumbfounded us that we’d never even heard of this part of town, so finding such an amazing place to drink after four years living in Sheffield was quite a late discovery!
I am a pub girl through and through and a glutton for a good, hearty menu. Forever hunting out new locations to catch up with my friends or to go for lunch with the family, so was super excited to discover this little gem situated in the beautiful Sutton.